Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Don't use tabs for Smashwords.com ebook

I uploaded my book Death by Clogging recently on Smashwords.com and I received a message from Smashwords.com that I needed to get rid of the tab formatting in my document.  By the way, I should have read their Smashwords free style guide before doing anything.
I've learned that Smashwords.com doesn't allow tabs to be used in ebooks.  Don't panic if your novel is full of tabs created by hitting the "tab" key in Microsoft Word.  This is how you fix it in a few easy steps.
In MS Word:
Hit the "Ctrl" and "h" keys.  This will bring up the Find & Replace box.  You can also do this by going to the "Edit" dropdown menu and clicking "Replace"
Now in the find box type "^t" without the quotatation marks.
In the replace box type nothing.  Just leave it blank.
Click "Ok"
Voila!  Your .doc is rid of tab formatting and is ready to be uploaded.

Death by Clogging can be found on Smashwords.com at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/91641
Death by Clogging can be found on Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MJG0KI

No comments:

Post a Comment